Monday, December 14, 2009

Oklahoma City-cowboy museum

I'm not really the museum type. Typically, I find them rather boring and dull, but the Murrah Federal Building was very interesting so I hoped the cowboy museum would follow suit.Well...


I would call it a city slicker's way of seeing cowboy life.

I felt like the girl who arrived at a New York City art auction in her work pants and boots. This museum had an incredible array of multi-thousand-dollar art sculptures. None of which would ever set foot in the house of a cowboy.

I do love art though, so once I let go of the fact that it was an art museum and not a museum on the life of cowboys, I was able to enjoy the numerous sculptures and paintings.



Here kitty kitty- I wouldn't want to run into this one in the dark of night in the woods. It was an 18-foot-tall cougar that was made of solid Colorado marble. The cat was as smooth as glass and the rocks as rough as real life.



So, Johnny, whata ya say we make our way round that bend and bring in some cattle?
Sounds good, but you got a lot of poofy layers on. Don't ya think that jacket's gonna get caught trying to get on and off ya horse?

Nah! I ride 'ol Sally all the time wearing this. It makes me look official to the cows. They ain't so stubborn that way.

-The museum descriptions were a bit boring so these are the type of stories I would make up as I looked at the sculptures to make it interesting.


This next item will compliment the hardwood floor inlay work in any home entry.

Yes, those are all antlers! I can see that an antler hunting trip is in order when I get home. I think I'm going to have to make one of these lights for my dining room.

This next stop opened my eyes to the creativity of men. I always thought there was only one type of barbed wire. WAS I WRONG!! Not only is there more than one type, there are over 1300 different types. This room had 3 walls that looked just like this. Each handle rolled out a glass wall with the different types of barbed wire attached.


Me and the rodeo cowboy.

I was quite impressed with the inlay work in these guns.

Enough of this; I'm ready for a nap.

After a nap, onward!!
I am the luckiest niece around!!!
Due to my limited budget, a fancy meal for me on this trip is eating Subway instead of McDonalds.
So my dear, wonderful aunt treated me to an incredible dinner. I was like a kid in a candy shop. I had the most mouth-watering ribs- the type where the meat fell of the bone when I touched them. They melted in my mouth! Then add steamed veggies cooked to perfection, a baked potato the size of my foot, and a brownie with ice cream and I almost had to be rolled out of the place.
AND I had leftovers. That fits my budget for lunch the next day!!

My taste buds have taken a dangerous twist on this trip. I have developed a new found taste for dessert. Before traveling, I could count on one hand the number of desserts I have eaten. Now, I hope the gym equipment is well greased for me when I return home!!
It was a great adventure with my aunt and I am so glad she was able to join me!!!!! We really had a lot of fun together and created memories both of us will be able to laugh at forever.

I would like to end this posting with some cowboy wisdom-

- There are three kinds of men- The one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

- Forgive your enemies, just don't forget their names.

- There's two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither one works.

- If you come to a fork in the road, take it.

- Don't worry about bitin' off more'n you kin chew; your mouth is probably bigger'n you think.

- Don't go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path... and leave a trail.

- Women never fantasize about being swept off their feet by a certified accountant.


Last but not least...

The inscription on John Wayne's headstone:
"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learnt something from yesterday."

No comments:

Post a Comment